The following information contains a summary of the law, which applies to the average dog owner in Rockingham. However it is not a substitute for professional legal advice on specific points in regards to the Dogs Local Law 2000.
Dog owners are required by law to have all dogs over the age of three months registered with Local Councils. Registrations are also valid throughout Western Australia so you can transfer your dog registration to another Council if you choose to move home or location.
The period of registration (“dog year”) runs from 1 November to 31 October, regardless of the date when the dog is actually registered.
- $10.00 per year, or
- $18.00 for 3 years.
- $30.00 per year, or
- $75.00 for 3 year.
If you are registering your dog for the first time, please complete a dog registration form below. If you have received a registration renewal notice from us, you can pay online
Holders of a current Pensioner Concession Card receive a 50% discount.
Note: A registered Veterinary Surgeon’s Certificate or statutory declaration must be produced to be eligible for sterilisation rates.
Once your dog is registered, you will be issued with a coloured dog tag stating your dog’s number and registration expiry date. In addition to the registration tag provided, the owner’s name and address must be attached to its collar.
back to top
Limitations to the numbers
Only two (2) dogs are allowed to be kept at any one residence in the urban area but rural and special rural areas may keep more than the prescribed number of dogs.
If you are thinking about keeping more than two dogs a written application must be made to Council with a non-refundable fee of $55.00 (GST inc).
Puppies may only be kept until they reach the age of three months.
back to top
Dog beach exercise areas
The following areas have been designated as dog beach exercise areas:
Further information on dog exercise areas as well as other information can be found in the City of Rockingham Dog Owner's Guide, downloadable below:
- The public beach bounded on the east by Hymus Street and extending generally in a westerly direction and then in a southerly direction and bounded on the south by Boundary Road
- The public beach bounded on the east by Hymus Street and extending in a westerly direction and then in a southerly direction and bounded on the south by Boundary Road
- The public beach bounded on the north by prolongation of McLarty Road, on the east by Arcadia Drive and on the south by the northern boundary of Mersey Point car park
- The public beach bounded on the west from the eastern side of the Bent Street boat ramp, on the north by Safety Bay Road and on the east from the western side of the Donald Drive boat ramp
- The public beach bounded on the north by, and 40 metres to the north, of a prolongation of Shelton Street, on the east by Blakey and Fendham Streets and on the south by prolongation of St Malo Close
- The public beach bounded on the north by the northern-most part of Capella Pass carpark beach access and extending generally in a southerly direction for a distance of 1km
- The public beach bounded on the north by the boundary of Port Kennedy and Secret Harbour and in a southerly direction to the public beach access of Siracusa Court carpark
- The public beach bounded on the north by a prolongation of Crystaluna Drive and extending in a southerly direction for a distance of 500 metres
- The public beach bounded on the north by a prolongation of Bight Reefs Road and extending in a southerly direction to the southern boundary of the district
back to top
Please prevent your dog from wandering the streets alone by ensuring your home is secure enough to prevent a dog escaping keeping in mind dogs can escape by digging, jumping, running out of open gates and garage doors.
If your dog does escape, it could be seized by the Ranger and impounded or even killed on the roads by a car which is a very common occurrence.
Sadly, dogs which are not claimed after being impounded for 72 hours may be euthanised.
Lost your dog? We have a list of all dogs (including photos) currently impounded in Rockingham's dog pound.
The Dog Pound is located on Hurrell Way, Rockingham. Opening times are Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays) between 3.30pm and 4pm.
Poundage fees will be charged for the release of a dog which is another reason not to let your dog escape or run away.
Inclusive of GST
||$50.00 per dog
dog registration fees
||$15.00 per day
back to top