Writing and Literature
City of Rockingham Short Fiction Awards - Winners
Congratulations to the following winners of the 2016 City of Rockingham Short Fiction Awards.
This year's competition proved popular, with more than 100 stories being submitted from all states in Australia, as well as the USA, Canada, Hawaii, Nigeria, Malaysia and Kenya. All stories were based on the painting ‘Mixed Media Study’ by Drewfus Gates, a picture in the City of Rockingham's art collection. The Judge’s Report is provided below.
1st place: The Line, Irma Gold (ACT)
2nd place: The Painters of Clairvaux, Greg Southwell (ACT)
3rd place: The Twilight Cafe, Megan Bosch (WA)
Commended: The Watcher, Naomi Greaves (WA)
Commended: The Rabbit, Francoise Thornton-Smith (VIC)
Over 50s Category
1st place: Refusal, Liana Joy Christensen (WA)
2nd place: The Bookseller of Istanbul, Robin Bower (WA)
3rd place: Two Old Men in a Dead City, Greg Beatty (USA)
Commended: The Feast, Jacqueline Kelly (WA)
Commended: The Kingdom, Ellen Denton (USA)
Young Writers (10-17) Category
1st place: Keeping Time, Ellen Vickerman (QLD)
2nd place: Mute Witness, Isabelle Juric (WA)
3rd place: A Coffee and Pecan Pie, Emily Fursa (WA)
For further queries, please contact the Community Development Officer (Arts & Culture) on 9528 0333 or email@example.com
back to top
Community Christmas Poetry Competition
Opens: 19 September 2016
Closes: 28 October 2016
The 2016 Community Christmas Poetry Competition aims to create a sense of good will and community pride during the festive season. Entrants are invited to submit up to three poems of no longer than 24 lines on the theme of ‘Christmas’. Entry is free.
The winning entry will be displayed on posters throughout the Rockingham area during the festive period. The winning poet will receive two copies of the poster as well as $200.
- Send a maximum of three poems, attached to an email in rtf or doc format, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “POETRY SUBMISSION: Your Title” as the subject line.
- The body of your email must include your name, address, phone/mobile number, email address, and the title and line counts of your poems. To ensure anonymity, do not include your details on your entered poems themselves.
- Do not post entries. Only entries received via email will be accepted.
- Each poem must be no longer than 24 lines.
- Poems must be original, unpublished, not have received an award in another competition, and not be under consideration elsewhere from the time of entry in the awards until the official announcement of the winners.
- To ensure anonymity, no writer's names are to appear on the manuscript. The winner will be invited to read their winning poem at the launch of the 2016 Community Christmas Lights Display at the Rockingham Foreshore on Saturday 3 December 2016.
- Employees of the City of Rockingham and their family members are ineligible to enter.
- The judges’ decisions are final, and no correspondence will be entered into. Any attempt to lobby judges or City of Rockingham employees, or influence decisions, may result in disqualification.
- Entries close 28 October 2016, and winners will be contacted by phone or email prior to public announcement.
- The first prize winning entry will be published on an A3 poster which will be displayed throughout Rockingham during the festive period, as well as the City of Rockingham webpage.
- 1st Prize: $200 + two copies of the Christmas poster.
For further information contact Donna Cochrane, Community Development Officer (Culture & Arts) on 9528 0333 or email@example.com
back to top